Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Why Do Donuts Have Holes In Them?

So, there I was today waiting for my lunch in a small Flagstaff deli when the proprietor hacked a furball into her hand. She then grabbed a donut, put it in a bag, handed to me with a sweet smile and said, "Here, have a free donut for desert." Since I just got over a bad cold which kept me on the couch all weekend moaning, I was a bit loathe to partake of the aforementioned freebie. and it was quietly deposited in the closest trash receptacle. I related this story to Amy, over a Beaver Street Brewery pretzel, and she commented that she was not surprised since most people are oblivious to their actions. "Why, most people don't wash their hands after going to the bathroom," she added. True, I thought. Sometimes I have even fallen prey to this sordid act. Though I rationalize it by telling myself that I know where my privates have been. And where they have been is much cleaner than the contents of a stranger's lungs. Of course, I can picture myself working in a deli and telling a customer, "You get a free donut with your lunch. Oh! My hands are dirty. But, don't worry, it's not a problem....."

It's been hell hot in Chandler the past couple of days so I brought the bike up to Flag with me so I could take a nice after-work ride. Unfortunately, the mild temperatures have plummeted, the wind is blowing, and there are rumors of snow for tomorrow. None of which would normally bother me except I left all the cold weather gear down South. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

My friend, Anna (Value Meals on the Volga) has discovered that within her German from Russia ancestry there is a French conection. As a certified French snob, I always knew that she carried the "snoot" gene in her blood. So we have done a little research and have discovered a few new names and generations for her family tree. One of the things I love about genalogy is how it satisfying it is when pieces come together from seemingly disparate bits of information. The Internet has made searching for information, and confirming the validity of data, so much easier.

No comments: